Friday, September 10, 2010

As a young writer....

As a young writer I was taught how to take notes and summarize materials. I can remember practicing two-column notes in school, being reminded to take out our notebooks in class, and to take notes as the materials were sure to be on the assessment at the end of the chapter. An important skill to learn, yes. I had terrible comprehension throughout school in my younger years. Taking notes was a very helpful skill and helped me retain the information discussed in class. I am currently using these skills in my graduate classes. I recently created a river of literacy, where I drew a nonlinguistic representation of my early literacy experiences. There were definitely some boulders in the beginning and some shallow water where teachers and family members reached out to guide me through the current, and I will be forever greatful for the time they spent caring for and teaching me to be a better reader. I only hope I can reach out and guide others through their journey as a reader.
Until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment